This family based dental practice began in the early 1930’s by the first Dr. Kinley K. Adams who graduated dental school in 1927. Dr. Adams spent his first few years practicing in Reedsport before relocating to Salem and opening this practice in the Livesley Building (what is now Capitol Tower).
His son, Dr. Kenard Adams graduated dental school in 1955 and joined the family business after serving in the United States Army for two years. In 1962 the practice moved to Cherry Plaza near downtown Salem where it remained until the current building was built and opened in 1979.
That same year, the third generation of Adams’ dentist, Dr. Kinley K. Adams, graduated from OHSU dental school and came to work with his father. After working together for many years Dr. Kenard Adams retired in 2003.
When Dr. Kinley was ready for an associate of his own he welcomed Dr. Kristen Smith into the practice in June 2008. She had been practicing in Washington state and was ready to return to her Oregon roots. The two worked well together and enjoyed a very rare comradery. Besides both being left-handed, they shared the same conservative approach to patient care, a love of the outdoors and peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches.
In June 2013 Dr. Adams was called home unexpectedly while climbing on Mt. Hood. After careful consideration Dr. Smith felt this is where she is supposed to be and she purchased the dental practice from Dr. Adams’ wife Lorraine. The staff, including Dr. Adams’ sister Cherie, rallied to support Dr. Smith and one another during the transition and through deep personal loss.
On November 1, 2013 the doors opened for the first time as Kristen M. Smith, DMD PC. A new business on paper, but a dental practice rich in heart and history, having served the community for generations and continuing a tradition of quality dentistry built on personal relationships.